Hangman's Bridge (Henkersteg). View of the bridge, towers, and half-timbered building. Nuremberg, Germany. 1860-1890.
The Hangman's Bridge (Henkersteg) was constructed in 1457 as a wooden bridge. Between the 16th and the 19th century, the Nuremberg hangman lived in the tower and the roofed walk above the river Pegnitz. After the flood of 1595, three arches of the town wall bridging the southern arm of the river Pegnitz were demolished and replaced by the wooden Hangman's Bridge with its tiled roof (reconstructed in 1954).